Cavapoo, Cavadoodle or Cadoodle is a designer cross breed dog between a poodle and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The 2 energetic, playful parent breed were specifically chosen to compliments each other’s trait and characteristic. Although it is not exact science to know which traits are passed on to cavapoo from each of its parents, Most cavapoo inherits the best traits of each parent breed making them perfect family dog.
Cavapoo comes in 2 sizes: A toy cavapoo from a Toy Poodle and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel parent, and a Mini Cavapoo, an offspring of a Mini Poodle and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They don’t have much different except for their size. A toy cavapoo usually weighs 10 pounds and is around 12 inches tall while Mini Cavapoo is 20 pounds and 14 inches tall in average. Mini Cavapoo is the more popular hybrid between the two.
Mini Cavapoo’s History
Although the Cavapoo dog breed may have evolved spontaneously over time, designer breeders in Australia began purposely combining Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with Poodles in the late 1990s, following the popularity of the Labradoodle and Goldendoodle. Despite being a younger designer breed, they quickly became one of Australia’s most popular dogs. Because of their growing popularity in Australia and Europe, there are now reputable Cavadoodle breeders in the United States as well.
Breeders aimed to combine the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel’s sociable and calm disposition with the intelligence of a Poodle. As a result, the Cavapoo inherited the Poodle’s intellect, training ability, and loyalty attitude, as well as the Cavaliers King Charles Spaniel’s gentle demeanor and sensitive character. Because Poodles shed less than other breeds, they were selected to achieve the perfect mixed breed for allergy sufferers. As demand for mixed-breed puppies grew, breeders continued to produce Cavapoos.
Mini Cavapoo’s Appearance, Color, and Coat
The wide eyes of a Cavapoo dog are like chocolate—soft, warm, and welcoming. They’re deep-set above a tiny short snout tipped with a black button nose. They will most likely have a flat muzzle. Cavapoos got long, silky, flopped ears and tufted fur around the mouth. They resemble a lot like teddy bears.
Cavapoos are available in various colors like gold, black, white, Blenheim (black and white). Both of their parents have lots of color combinations, but it is unlikely for them to be tricolor like a classic Cavalier King Charles. Some Cavapoo pups are born with a single color coat, such as reddish-brown, but as they grow older, their coats change. You might also find a Cavapoo with a different tint around the muzzle, on the ends of her ears and paws, and on her chest.
This Mini Poodle Mix could get one of three possible coat types: Hair, Fleece and Wool. Their coat is typically kept fairly short, although that preference is mostly up to whatever the owner wants to do. A popular haircut style is the teddy bear.
The most frequent type of coat is fleece, which has a loose wave or curl to it. They are quite soft to the touch and do not shed much. They’re also low-maintenance, requiring only occasional trimming.
Wool coats also feature tight curls and have low shedding. Because of their tight curls, they trap dander, making them the greatest coat type for allergy sufferers. However, because these coats develop, they must be brushed daily and clipped on a regular basis.
The Cavapoo’s hair coat can be wiry and rough, giving it a Terrier appearance. These coats lose the most of all three, but because they don’t grow as much, they also require the least amount of maintenance
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because Cavapoos are a mixed breed, their standard appearance may vary. They can take on the appearance of either a Cavalier or a Poodle. This can have an impact on their coat, appearance, and color.
Mini Cavapoo’s Size
The size of a mini Cavapoo is usually determined by the size of its poodle parent. These puppies will weigh between 13 and 25 pounds and reach between 12 and 16 inches tall when fully grown. Cavapoo females are 10% shorter than male Cavapoos. In addition, estimating the size of a first-generation Cavapoo is easier. To determine the size of a 2nd or 3rd generation Cavapoo, you must first determine which side is dominant. A Mini Cavapoo puppy with a higher percentage of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is slightly smaller than a Cavapoo puppy with a higher percentage of Mini Poodle.
Mini Cavapoo’s Temperament and Personality
- Affectionate: Mini Cavapoos are affectionate dogs. This trait is both from their parent, Mini Poodle and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, both known as lap dogs. They love to be around their human and they make great family dogs especially since they love to be around children as much as they love to be around adults.
- Gentle: Mini Cavadoos are gentle dogs. They have moderate to low energy levels. They are definitely not an escape artist or destructive by nature and does not have a high prey drive.
- Friendly: Cavadoodle is great with other dogs and family pets. They are also great with strangers. They will great their human the same welcome with a stranger.
Reminder: Socialization should start once a puppy is fully vaccinated.
- Playful: Cavadoodle is a playful dog that will surely love a fun game of tug, tug-of-war, or fetch. They do not require a lot of physical activities but they are more outgoing than cavalier’s King Spaniel.
- Intelligent and People Pleaser: Cavapoos are intelligent and live for their human’s validation and praise. This makes Cavapoos fairly easy to train, as they are eager to please. They also excel in competitions, particularly in obedience competitions.
- Adaptable: Cavapoos are easily adaptable to their owners’ lifestyles. They can comfortably live in an apartment or a large family house because of their modest size. Its amount of activity is also determined by its owner’s lifestyle. They can maintain a regular exercise routine, such as a walk in the park, or they can adopt a more relaxed lifestyle
- NOT A WATCHDOG: Because of their friendly nature, they do not make a great watchdog. They will greet their human the same way as they will greet a stranger.
- TOO ATTACHED: Cavadoodle can be too attached to their human to the point that they can be destructive inside the house if left alone for hours. They might start chewing furniture and shoes or rooting through the garbage if left alone. Early puppyhood training is necessary to avoid these issues.
- NEED EXTRA ATTENTION WHEN WITH CHILDREN: Because Cavapoos are little, they can be easily hurt by overenthusiastic children, especially those who are younger. It’s important that any children in the house understand how to approach and play with your Cavapoo securely.
Caring for your Cavapoodle
- To maintain their coat clean and silky, grooming requires time and attention. While Cavadoodles are hypoallergenic and do not shed much, they nevertheless require daily brushing and regular bathing to avoid tangles. Clipping and expert grooming are also recommended every 4 to 6 weeks. No need to wax your Mini Cavapoo’s bikini area, but you should trim the genital area or have the groomer trim the lower belly area. This keeps urine from staining and smelling the coat, as well as feces from becoming entangled in the hair surrounding the anus. To avoid ear infections, make sure to check their ears on a daily basis for debris and vermin. They may also acquire reddish-brown tear stains beneath their eyes, which must be wiped away every day with a warm, damp towel. Periodontal disease is common in small size dogs, such as Mini Cavapoos, therefore brush their teeth on a daily basis.
- Cavapoos, like their parent breed, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, are hearty eaters who will eat anything you put in front of them. They are prone to obesity due to their voracious appetite, small size, and laid-back lifestyle. A healthy 30 minute to 1-hour walk and playtime will guarantee that your Mini Cavadoodle is fit and healthy. However, because Mini Cavapoos have sensitive joints and bones, they should not be over-exercised during their childhood.
NOTE: Having a regular feeding schedule also helps with their digestion.
- Training is highly recommended for Mini Cavapoo’s Mental Development and Behavior. They respond best to positive reinforcement training and reward-based training. Mini Cavapoo’s are high intellectual dogs and short but enjoyable training keeps them mentally healthy. Additionally, training Mini Cavapoo’s from puppyhood will lessen the chances that they’ll get destructive and aggressive during unfamiliar situations or when left alone.
- Most importantly, regularly visit your Mini Cavapoo’s veterinarian for health and care reasons. As soon as you adopt a Mini Cavapoo, visit your vet for an overall check-up. Before letting your Mini Cavapoo Puppy socialize especially with other canines, get them fully vaccinated first. Poodle offsprings are susceptible to food and environmental allergens so ask your vet to check for allergies.
Did you know….
- The normal life span of a cavapoo is 12 to 15 years but with proper love and care, some Mini Cavapoo’s can live for 18 years. They can outlive both their parents.
- Mini Cavapoo reaches their full-grown size at the age of 11 to 13 months.
- Mini Cavapoos are very sensitive to heat and if they become overheated, they can die.
- Mini Cavapoos are great emotional support and therapy dogs because of their calm, laid-back nature.
- Mini Cavapoos are not outside dogs. Their coat can tolerate moderate warm and cold weather but Mini Cavapoos will not survive outside during extreme weathers
- The reddish-brown tear stain that you might sometimes notice beneath your Mini Cavapoo’s eyes is caused by your dog’s food diet.
- Cavapoo does not have a standard size. Standard poodles are rarely mixed with Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
The Mini Cavapoo is a hybrid of many charms. . They are attentive, affectionate, playful, and absolutely adorable. They are flexible companion dogs who can adapt to a variety of living situations. Overall they are low-maintenance dog except for their grooming needs which is easily remedied as long as you are patient and willing to learn. They are the ideal canine buddy you have been looking for that is willing to accompany you wherever you go or meet you enthusiastically when you return home from a long day at work.