Many people are opting to get a crossbred animal due to their unique characteristics and features between two breeds of dogs. One fairly new classification of dog is called a cavoodle. They are getting to be widely known for their kind-hearted spirits and friendliness towards everyone. Not only that, but their teddy bear look with floppy ears, puppy eyes and curly hair is to die for in us humans!
But who are their parents and what breed specifically are they? These animals are a crossbreed between the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog and the miniature or toy Poodle, depending on who their breeder is. Since they are so small, you might think that they are a soft toy or designer dog as opposed to a real or regular animal.
Being most popular and originating in Australia, the cavoodle dog is starting to make a huge hit in the western world as more humans discover their existence. There are more specific things to tell as to what makes this breed so unique and a joy to have around, which we will go over in this article today.
What is a Crossbreed?
Many people mistake the two terms “crossbreed” and “hybrid”, probably due to how the animal is made specifically, but rest assured, there are two completely different explanations between them.
A crossbreed is where two purebred animals come together and create something in between the two, making them unique and having features and characteristics that no other breed of animal has. In this case, two different types of dogs came together to make their very own unique baby, wherast a hybrid is between two different species, such as a Liger (tiger-lion mix) or a Savannah cat, which is a cross between a serval and a domestic cat.
One of the benefits of cavoodles being a crossbreed is that they have many characteristics which make the animal unique.
- They are gentle. This means they have a soft nature. Most animals who have a gentle spirit will not do you any harm in terms of if they are angry about something.
- Cavoodles are friendly and sociable. It can be very beneficial if you have a lot of company over or want to take a stroll around the neighborhood and meet new people. Who knows, they may even help you strike up a conversation that you would not have had otherwise!
- These pooches are affectionate. When you need a friendly animal to love and cuddle on a lot of the time, especially if you are a very affectionate person yourself, cavoodles are one of the many breeds to help you out. Since he or she is a very cuddly animal, it is a win, win situation! I mean, who doesn’t love a cuddle, even once in a while?
- Loyal to their owners. Dogs in general are very loyal to their owners, meaning they prefer you and your immediate family over everyone else. Because these dogs know your scent, it is associated with more positive and friendly emotions than if they were near a stranger.
- Clingy at times. Although they are very affectionate, loving and friendly animals, they can be very clingy at times. What does this mean in a dog’s perspective though? We will get to it momentarily.
- They have medium to high energy levels. Like most dogs, they will need a lot of exercise in order to get that energy out of their systems. Going for long walks or doing hiding treats all around your home will help with this.
Can Cavoodles Be Left Alone?
Since one of the cavoodles’ traits are clingy, it is not best to keep them left alone for too long. Their behavior will start to change and in some cases your pup will begin to be destructive as a way of showing you that they are very unhappy about their situation. It is best that you give them lots of love and attention during the times that you are home.
However, sometimes this is not the case for us all. If you are someone who is not home often, there is a method you can use to train your dog to be okay with being alone, especially if they are going to be getting separation anxiety during the times you are not home.
- Ask your dog to stay put while you go somewhere else for a minute
- Train your dog to stay put in their beds or their designated area whilst you are present at home. Make sure you reward them for doing so to ensure them this is a good thing and they are not being punished
- Continue with both of these things above as you move progressively further away each time
- Keep at it with the same training. After both you and your dog are comfortable with this method, go into a room and close the door gradually for longer periods of time
- Once your dog is happy to be left alone or roughly an hour, it is safe go assume they can be left alone for much longer
Making sure they are entertained when you least is a must during these times as well. If they are being destructive, yes it is due to attention, but they also may be bored.
Is It Better to Get A Make of Female Cavoodle?
This entirely depends on you and what your situation is. If you have a family, odds are that the male will be more prone to wanting to be with most everyone in the family, while the female dog will most likely remain loyal to one particular person in the family.
If you do wind up getting a boy dog, their physical traits will be a bit more noticable too as oftentimes with a miniature poodle, the male has a thicker layer of fur, their heads are larger and the chest gets to be deeper. With a small Poodle who is much larger than the miniature Poodle, you might not notice these subtle differences as much.
What Health Issues Do Cavoodles Have?
As like many other animals, more specifically dogs, you can always expect health issues to pop up at some point in their lives. There are a few ways to help ensure your pooch can live their healthiest life with supplements, diet and proper exercise. But although cavoodles do not have many health problems, here are some of the things you can expect to look out for in the future of having them as a pet.
- Hip dysplasia
- Mitral valve disease
- Syringomyelia, where a fluid-filled cyst forms in the spinal cord. The bigger it gets, the more damage is done in the spinal cord which damages the nerve that sends signals back and forth to the brain and body.
- Eye diseases, like progressive retinal atrophy or cataracts
How Much Should You Pay For A Cavoodle?
Because a cavoodle is considered a designer breed, the cost is more high-tier and depends on the person who is breeding, starting at $2500 and ending at around $5000 AUD, or the Australian dollar. Here in the USA, that is anywhere from $1862-3737.
Why so expensive you might ask? Designer breed animals tend to have fewer puppies per litter than a regular dog. Since they are more rare, they are more expensive to get as an animal to have for you and your family.
Being a dog of two breeds can be tough with a lot of high expectations out of them. However, I have no doubt in my mind that they would be a great dog that everyone would love, especially since he or she will be so small and easier to maintain. Cavoodles will make an excellent add on to your family for all members to enjoy them for years to come!