If you came to this article today, it is because you are a huge animal lover, like me! However, one of the many topics you are researching is the fairly new breed of cavoodles, also recognized for the names cavapoo or cavapoodle. Being well-known for their cute little puppy eyes, kindheartedness and overall gentle spirit, you can ensure that they will make an excellent addition to your family, especially since they are such small creatures!
Some cavoodles are a lot larger than others, so it is difficult to tell what exactly their size is due to one of their parents being either a miniature or toy poodle. Both breeds have completely different proportions in size, which we will get to in a moment. With that being said, cavoodles can go anywhere between roughly 9 to 25 pounds and their height is 9 to 14 inches tall at the shoulder.
Even though we know what their weight and height is right now, there is a lot more information out there about the cavapoo dog breeds in order to ensure that we are well-informed before making a decision about getting one for you and your family. Even if you are not wanting to particularly get this type of breed and are doing simple research for either yourself, family member or friend, this is all good knowledge to know. In this article, we are going to talk a lot about their features and what they have to offer.
Is A Cavoodle A Small Or Medium Dog?
This particular crossbreed is considered mostly a small dog, but since medium sized dogs are anywhere between 20 to 60 pounds, these mutts can be examined as a medium dog too, so it all depends on their size. One of their parents, the toy Poodle, gets to be anywhere between 6 to 9 pounds whereas the miniature Poodle and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel are both roughly anywhere between 13 to 18 pounds. As you can clearly see, a cavoodle can be labeled in either or these two areas.
With that being said, if you are thinking about owning a small dog as opposed to a large one, there are many benefits to it:
- They are not a hassle to take along with you if you are wanting to go somewhere particular
- Small breed dogs do not take up a lot of space in your home
- Having a smaller animal will mean that they have a higher chance to living longer
- Even in their adult years, most small pooches still look like puppies
- Overall, they will be a lower cost with food and supplies
- If you are one to sleep with your animals, it is guaranteed that they will not take up the entirety of your bed as opposed to big dogs
At What Age Are They Fully Grown?
Typically, this breed will stop growing between 6 to 8 months old. Even though they are not fully grown yet, which will be at 1 years old, the pooch will not get much bigger than this. Smaller dogs stop growing so much due to the not-so-mind-blowing reason of them simply being just a smaller breed whereas if you have a bigger dog, they will get much larger.
How Much Space Do They Need?
Although they do not necessarily need much space, this doesn’t mean that they do not need a lot of exercise. Cavapoos are very social and intelligent creatures who would love to go on walks every chance they get, especially if they know they are going somewhere special, such as the park. In order to ensure their happiness and continue to keep them in good health, they will need plenty of exercise to go around.
If you have a fairly small place such as an apartment, a townhouse or in rare cases, a tiny home, then you might not know how exactly you can get them to exercise more; especially if you do not have the yard space to do so. Here are some ideas for you to exercise your puppy (and even yourself as well):
- Get a doggy treadmill
- Play hide-and-treat and hide treats all around your house for them to find
- Play tag around the home
- Find a nearby dog park or field for your pup to run freely
- Have them go running or jogging with you
- If you are able, find out how your dog can become a service dog so they are able to walk around places with you. This will help with any attachment issues they may have from being away from you for too long, as some of this breed wants around-the-clock attention
- Go hiking with them
- Show your animal how to swim
Are Cavoodles Inside Or Outside Dogs?
Both toy and miniature cavoodles can be very adaptable to any location that you live, whether it is on a farm, in a rural area or in a smaller apartment. However, most of this breed is kept both as an inside dog and an outside dog. It all depends on you and your lifestyle and what you are comfortable with. Giving them plenty of outside time is a wonderful way to keep the dog busy and exercised as we mentioned earlier.
How Long Are Cavoodles Expected To Live?
As we are looking at what specific dog breed we are wanting for ourselves or for simple research and understanding, one of the main questions that’s popping up is their lifespan. Many dog breeds today are living longer due to their owners taking better care of them as well as treating their dogs as a part of the family instead of having your dog just “be there”. In some cases, people consider their animals their fur babies, especially if they do not have any children on their own.
That being said, as what many people are saying, you can expect cavoodles to live anywhere around 10 to 14 years of age with not a lot of health issues involved.
What Color Of Fur Do Cavoodles Have?
One of the best things about this particular breed is the fact that they are hypoallergenic animals and do not shed very often. However, their coat can either be high maintenance or moderate depending on the puppy. They have a long thick hair that is soft and can either be wavy or straight. Taking them to the pet groomers roughly every 6 weeks and brushing their fur at least once a week and giving them a bath every other week will help maintain it much better.
But knowing this information, what color fur do they come with? They range in a wide variety of colors just like their parents do. They can be gold, cream, red, chestnut, brown, brown and white, black, black and white or a combination of 3 colors of tan, black and white. The possibilities are endless from those particular colors making them a very unique breed.
What Other Physical Attributes Do Cavoodles Have?
Since cavapoodles look different instead of typically the same, they have many unique features, which is what makes them a beautifully-made crossbreed between their two parents. However, here are some very distinctive patterns these dogs possess.
- Their coats, which we have gone over being both curly and straight already, also gives a luxurious and shiny look thanks to one of their parents, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
- Their faces are more of a darker color
- Cavoodles occur to be shorter in height than average, but their bodies are longer from head to tail
- Not only that, but their tails are long too
- These puppies have large, round puppy eyes which makes them more of a desirable dog to have
- The ears above the eyes tend to hang low past their chin
- Cavoodles snouts tend to be short to medium sized in length
- When they move, it is well-known that they have a more sophisticated look and move more freely around
To wrap things up, it is good to be educated in something you are interested in. Cavoodles range from different heights (9-14 inches tall) and weights (between 9-25 pounds), but the most important thing to remember is these sizes and physical features are what make these dogs a very unique breed. Rest assured, whether you are a guest in someone’s house who has one or you decide to get one for yourself, they will be a joy and will always have your back from being a very loyal dog to their owners.